Saturday, July 6, 2013

A Study in Prayer, Part #4 of 6

Lord Teach Me To Pray.

Listening with intense attention to the speaker in the beautiful adorned ecclesiastical robe, the packed auditorium was moved by the message entitle. “God will take care of you”.  The scripture background for this inspiring message was  Matthew 6:26  Behold the fowls of the air: for they sow not, neither do they reap, nor gather into barns; yet your heavenly Father feedeth them. Are ye not much better than they?  As the message wound its way through a scripture laced interpretation and presentation , all around me through acclamations and confirmations I could feel the building of a spontaneous praise break.  The use of a few Hebrew words to an English speaking congregation added the necessary seasoning to a divine message.
 
 While the message was going forward I visualized those birds that was so eloquent spoken off, sitting in that tree looking out on that field of berries waiting for God to feed them.  In my mind I fast-forward to that moment when  the birds stopped singing due to starvation and fall to the ground dead because they would not fly around or work to get what God had already provided.  It seems to me that God extended his blessings  to humanity the same way in Genesis 1:28,  And God blessed them, and God said unto them, Be fruitful, and multiply, and replenish the earth, and subdue it: and have dominion over the fish of the sea, and over the fowl of the air, and over every living thing that moveth upon the earth.  Why do we spend so much time begging God for the blessings?

Imagine with me for a moment  the frustration of a parent  whose children seem to know no end to their begging.   They become so caught up in their begging that they don’t see the things the father has already provided.   They find ways to circumvent work ethic and ask their father to just give them money and things because he is their father and he love them.  Imagine a child being trained up this way.

Ephesians 1:3  says, “Blessed be the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ, who hath blessed us with all spiritual blessings in heavenly places in Christ.”  Now reflect on the above illustrations and ask yourself what are we praying for? Do our prayers reflect the desires of the flesh  more than the desires of the spirit?  Have we misused the power of prayer in such a manner that it  trivialize and render the God of our salvation impotent in the eyes of the world?   With all of the righteous prayers going forth the world should be on the brinks of Heaven here on earth.  Christianity should be flourishing and the devil should be reeling from a knockout blow from the blood of Jesus applied.   This is not true Christianity is being suppressed in our schools and in our nation.  The religious order is being redefined to allow equal time for the opposing force.  The government is beginning to exert more force on the church, and that old Satan has found a new use for the words "Policial Correctness."  It is definitely a time for prayer, but the question is what are we praying for?  

The disciple asked Jesus to teach them how to pray. When was the last time you heard someone say, “Lord teach me how to pray?” Jesus answered them by saying, “After this manner therefore pray you:” Our Father, which art in heaven. This is to acknowledge that God is our father and not only he is our father but he is the father of the universe and Heaven is his home and he is the King of all the world. Now we have set the tone for a conversation between a Father and his child. We must come to God like a little child who is seeking to show his love and devotion to his Father. My prayer is a conversation between my great father and me not because of what I want but because he is my Father, and I acknowledge that, he knows my needs.  Hallowed be thy name. I sanctify your name, I will not profane your name, I will not trivialize your name, because your name is Holy, and I honor you, I respect you because you are my father and you are the greatest father a child could have.

 Now Father you left me here and told me to work in your vineyard and you said you were coming back to get me. I know you have not forgotten me father. You are my King, and I am waiting for your kingdom to come. Father I am down here doing the work you asked me to do. I am doing Kingdom work. I am working in your vineyard and my soul is getting tired. Now father when my work is done down here, I want to go home. I pray for you to let your Kingdom come. Now I respect you, because you are my father, so whatever you decide is ok with me. There are blessings in store for me because I am your child. Therefore, Father just do your will, here on earth as it is in heaven. Now Father if it is not your will to come and get me, then I ask you one small favor, give me this day and my daily bread. If you do this, I will use this time to tell somebody else about your kingdom. I will teach them how to believe. I will continue to work and wait patiently for your return. Now Father you know that old Devil is after me and you put me here to fight against the Devil. 

In Genesis 1:28 you said you blessed us, and empowered us to take back from the Devil, what he is trying to take from you. So Father Give us this day, give me this day, give us the victory, give me the victory, I want to win the battle in your name. Now my heavenly Father, if I have sinned against you, maybe Father I did it unaware, I ask you to forgive me of my debts. Forgive me for the thing that I should have done but fail to do. Forgive me as I forgive my debtors.  Now I know that sometimes you allow temptation to come to test my faith, and I know that I can gain strength through temptation. I ask you Father as I follow your lead, to lead me not into temptation, but if you do, I ask you to deliver me from the evil one. Nevertheless, you are the strength giver and I know that the more I stand up to the Devil the more my strength will grow. Now you know that old Devil is trying to convince me that he does not exist. Give me the strength Father and the power to rebuke the Devil and cast him out in your name. Whatever you ask me to do is all right with me, for it is all about your Kingdom, and I acknowledge that my only reason for being here is to do kingdom work. I know you are the one who holds all of the power. Moreover, because of this all of the glory is yours. Not just today but forever and ever. The only thing I can add to this my father is, in the name of your Son Jesus  and Amen.



You are welcome to add your comments or question.

No comments:

Post a Comment